Nick’s is a casual eatery in [easyazon_link identifier=”0762769912″ locale=”US” tag=”theyum-20″]Des Moines[/easyazon_link], Iowa, the pork capital of America. This 2016 Best Tenderloin award-winning family style restaurant ranks as the best pork tenderloin in the state by the Iowa Pork Producers Association. Even better, Nick’s uses fresh local meats and produce. Their succulent pork has been pounded and portioned daily, no refrigeration or freezing necessary. In my eyes, that brings on a whole new meaning to farm-to-table – the freshest possible!
Aside from their fabulous pork tenderloins, Nick’s has other favorites such as salads, burgers, wings, and fried mushrooms. Vegetarian options are also available as well as a great selection of beer including Iowan top brews.
Location: 1106 Army Post Road, Des Moines, [easyazon_link identifier=”149302759X” locale=”US” tag=”theyum-20″]Iowa[/easyazon_link]
My Thoughts: I loved the sassy, yet friendly waiter who steered my party to the best choices from the menu. He was attentive and anticipated what we would need before we even had time to ask.
Nick’s 1/4″ thick tenderloins are flavorful and juicy; you have to taste them for yourself. Nick’s also uses ceramic-looking glazed metal serving dishes that were unusual, attractive, and made my photos pop. Simple menu items done really well at incredibly affordable prices is what Nick’s specializes in.
What to Order at Nick’s?
- Standard, Bacon & Swiss, or Chili & Cheese Tenderloins (King of Queen determine the size and you pick breaded or grilled)
- Sausage Sandwich (SPICY Italian sausage with melted Provolone on a Ciabatta bun)
- Fried Pickles (people cannot get enough of them!)
- Onion Rings (fat cut onions that are the star of the show, not the batter as in many places)
- Grinder (ground meat from pork loin with red sauce and a few veggies on a billowy Italian hoagie bun with melted Provolone cheese)
- Specialty 12″ and 16″ pizzas (For example, Quattro Formaggio, Buffalo Chicken, and Taco)
This is an exemplary restaurant for true pork lovers and all things pork tenderloin. The ambiance has a sports bar feel plus there are several TVs to watch. I can see why Nick’s is considered Iowa’s best, and taste it, too. Bring the entire family, a children’s menu is available. Nick’s is open 7 days a week.
Price Range: $ ($5.75-$8.50 for mains)
Disclosure: The author’s visit to Nick’s Restaurant was part of a FAM trip, sponsored by Travel Iowa Tourism. This post contains affiliate links. Clicking through for additional information or to make a purchase may result in a small commission being paid at no cost to you. By doing so, you help support this site and its authors, and we thank you.
- Florida’s Best! Yellow Dog Cafe in Malabar, Florida - June 11, 2019
- Vicksburg’s Only Rooftop Dining Experience: 10 South - January 25, 2018
- Pork & Beans, A Creative Pittsburgh Eatery - January 11, 2018