A paradise of water and a rugged shoreline await those who dare to maneuver through cobblestone alleys to find Ristorante Da Gemma. Located on the island of [amazon_textlink asin=’1101879866′ text=’Capri, Italy’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’theyums-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’cc6721d2-74ab-11e7-9268-e9dba9f260da’], Da Gemma claims one of the most dramatic and picturesque coastlines, creating an enjoyable seaside dining experience, exceeding expectations since 1872.
Location: Via Fra Gerardo Sasso, 11, 84011 Amalfi (SA) Italia , Island of Capri
Menu: The flavorful menu features an array of appetizers including provolone cheese, marinated anchovies, and so much more. The first course consists of home-made pasta, risotto, pacheri, goat cheese, and a variety of soups. The second course offers a showcase of fresh fish (including red tuna, cod, mixed fried fish), lamb, and many other choices. The array of sumptuous desserts included a broad selection of cheeses, sorbets, tiramisu, flourless chocolate cake, ice cream, and aubergine flan.
Thoughts: Ristorante Da Gemma is a place to relax with friends and family. The Campania region of Southern Italy has a long history of growing lemons which is represented in the charming décor of the restaurant and food. The place is deceptive in size; however, the simplistic yet cozy décor, decorative ceramic floors, and inviting atmosphere has kept the locals coming back since 1872. The breeze is inviting, the service is friendly, and the Mediterranean mild climate will make you never want to leave. The restaurant’s award winning chef Salvatore Milano, maintains an authentic flair and inventive menu that clearly represents the Amalfi Coast.
I was immediately blown away by the view as the hostess quickly seated our party of five. We started out with ordering three appetizers and several first and second courses with wine for our celebratory birthday dinner. We sampled several glasses of wine recommended by our sommelier who kindly provided us with a rich history of the surrounding Italian vineyards.
Here are the highlights from our meal:
- The fresh tuna carpaccio was served with sweet tomatoes, cauliflower and bathed with a light citrus marinade dressing (€18).
- The roasted octopus was very tender, and sweet served with dried tomatoes on creamy lemon marinated potatoes (€16).
- The caprese salad was the best I’ve ever tasted due to the ripe tomatoes, mozzarella and olive oil of the region (€14).
- Home-made scialatielli pasta with clams, leeks, and delicious baked tomatoes arrived steaming hot (€18).
- Baked mixed fish with crispy zucchini, and carrots was moist with a hint of red wine (€23).
- The lamb was succulent and served with flan of potatoes and a generous portion of wild Italian mushrooms (€24).
- For dessert, we enjoyed a special creation of the pastry chef consisting of soft ice-cream, crème brulee, aubergine flan, flourless chocolate cake, and Bailys ice covering a chocolate brownie with nuts (€35).
Prices: Pricing was moderate to expensive depending on what you ordered. Appetizers range from €14-18 ($16-$21 US). First and second course entrees ranged from €15-80 ($17-$93 US), and desserts €7-35 ($8-$40 US) . The wine list was extensive, and most glasses of wine started at €10.
Additional Info: Try arriving early evening and make a reservation. After 8 pm it’s noisier and harder to get a table. The hours are from 12-3 pm and 7-11 pm daily.
You can search for information about hotels and guest houses on the Island of Capri here.
For Pinterest: Save this so you’ll have it handy for planning your next trip to Italy.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Clicking through for additional information or to make a purchase may result in a small commission being paid. By doing so, you help support this site and its authors, but at no additional cost to you. We thank you for your support.
- The Infamous Proposal …She Said “Yes” Martin’s Tavern, Washington, D.C. - November 29, 2017
- Downtown Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Seafood Eatery – Pier 14 - October 3, 2017
- Beyond Grape Leaves:Home of Authentic Greek Cuisine – Greek Islands, Chicago - September 19, 2017