The aroma of traditional [amazon_textlink asin=’0375405062′ text=’Jordanian cuisine’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’theyums-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’404a8479-c4a6-11e7-a7b2-fb58ab2f30d1′] fills the air as my mouth waters in anticipation at Sufra Restaurant on Rainbow Street in Amman Jordan. As the menu says “Sufra captures the spirit of the Jordanian palette and the hospitality of its people.”
Menu: Serving a wide range of traditional Jordanian dishes, Sufra Restaurant is sure to tantalize and please the palate. With lots of options for the meat-lover and the vegetarian, there is something for everyone. The menu is in Arabic and English with clear descriptions of each dish for those unfamiliar with Jordanian cuisine.
Thoughts: Appearing on the corner of Ali Mahmoud Taha in the bustling area of Rainbow Street, Sufra Restaurant is housed in a lovely building surrounded by trees and flowers. It’s more of a house really, and once inside the walled courtyard, we soon discover that the building is much larger than it looks from the outside. Beautifully furnished and decorated, this restaurant is comfortably elegant with multiple rooms and pillars and an outdoor rooftop dining area in the garden. The decor and ambiance make you feel as if you are a special guest in a lavish Jordanian home.
Sufra Restaurant isn’t a tourist restaurant, although you’ll see many tourists and expats here, it’s a good sign as to the authenticity of the cuisine when you see lots of locals dining in amongst the tables of travelers.
Everything is served family-style and meant for sharing as fresh home cooked goodness and plates upon [amazon_textlink asin=’B01K3IB0F2′ text=’plates of mezze’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’theyums-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’ffa778e4-c4a6-11e7-8ffd-c57d6a091242′] cover our table from end to end. It’s easy to get carried away with all the fresh appetizers — dips/spreads, salads and little bites as they fill our plates and our bellies.
This may sound unusual, but one of my favorite things at Sufra Restaurant is the bread — fresh baked in a [amazon_textlink asin=’B06WWBY24N’ text=’clay oven’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’theyums-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’14e6ec77-c4a7-11e7-9ad5-f17cff41d655′] in a glass room in the corner — you can watch the baking in action before your very eyes. The bread is served promptly to your table while it’s still hot. It’s warm, soft and tender, and perfectly compliment all the mezze.
A few favorites to try:
- Hummus (JOD 2.95JOD) – Cooked mashed chickpeas perfect for spreading on your bread.
- Tabbouleh (JOD 4.45JOD) – Chopped parsley, tomato, mint, onion, and cracked wheat. Fresh and bright.
- Mansaf (JOD 13.75JOD) – The national dish of Jordan, this rice dish is made with jameed (goat yogurt sauce and pieces of lamb, the entire dish decorated with almonds and pine nuts. Savory and comforting.
- Mashawi (JOD 13.95JOD) – Mixed grill of chicken, lamb and beef perfectly seasoned and tender.
- Sufra special dessert (JOD 5.45JOD) – Arabic pistachio ice cream with halva (a sesame seed and sugar based crumbly sweet similar to nougat). Very addictive!
Sufra Restaurant is the perfect venue for a thorough introduction to Jordanian cuisine with freshness galore it will please the foodie in you.
Shisha or Hookah smoking is available so don’t be surprised if you see people partaking of this past time at the same time as they dine.
Prices: Hot and Cold Mezze (appetizers) range from JOD 2.95 to 5.75. The dish of the day ranges from JOD 9.95 to 13.75. Fukharat (mains) range from JOD 8.95 to 13.95. Prices include service charge
Pinterest: File this middle eastern restaurant on your favourite ethnic Pinterest board.
Disclosure: The author received a complimentary meal courtesy of the Jordan Tourism Board North America. This post contains affiliate links. Clicking through for additional information or to make a purchase may result in a small commission being paid. By doing so, you help support this site and its authors, and we thank you.
- Beer History, a Genny and a Bratwurst at Genesee Brew House Rochester NY - June 8, 2018
- Kirin and Kushikatsu at Oyaji no Kushiya Shinsekai Main Store in Osaka Japan - January 24, 2018
- Supermoon Japanese-Style Cheesecakes in Streetsville Ontario Canada - January 10, 2018